THREE GUYS AND… WWE
series created by Marvin Mercer and Nick Stephenson
“ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 — PREDICTIONS”
by Dominick Cappello
- Men’s Royal Rumble Match: My top three favorites are Seth Rollins, Drew McIntyre, and Braun Strowman. Yes, it may be a cop out to have three favorites, but there are too many options to think that only one superstar has a chance. There have been a few surefire winners over the years. Hulk Hogan in 1991, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin in 1998, and John Cena in 2013, but it’s better when there’s more than one favorite. All of my favorites are from RAW. No one from Smackdown seems to have momentum. Samoa Joe has been on the back burner for a while and people like Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio, and Jeff Hardy are top guys from a decade ago. I’m hoping for some new blood. No previous Royal Rumble winners. WWE has confirmed on social media that John Cena will not be in the Royal Rumble due to “injury” even though they probably knew all along he wasn’t going to be appearing on the show due to his busy schedule outside of WWE.
- Women’s Royal Rumble Match: Charlotte has to be the odds on favorite, but I’m hoping against hope that Becky Lynch finds herself in the match because Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch seems be to the match people want to see at WrestleMania, but WWE is desperate to find a way to shoehorn Charlotte into the feud. Becky has to started to use #ShoehornCharlotte on social media. So, Charlotte is the favorite unless Becky is in the match. I’m dreading a Lex Luger / Bret Hart co-winners of the 1994 Royal Rumble type situation.
- Universal Championship Match: Unfortunately, I predict that Brock Lesnar will retain. Some have said that Finn Balor is “too small” and “not believable” as an opponent for Brock Lesnar, so Vince McMahon has accomplished his goal of convincing people that being tall is a skill. This is Brock’s third go around as a part-time champion and I fail to see what having him appear sporadically does for weekly ratings or network subscriptions. I would like to see Finn win, but Brock will most likely keep the title until WrestleMania.
- WWE Championship Match: This match is almost a toss up, but I’ll give the nod to reigning champion Daniel Bryan. AJ Styles might be phenomenal, but Bryan has used the fact that he’s a vegan and an environmentalist to turn himself into the WWE’s top heel. Saving the planet means he’s the bad guy. Bryan should be allowed to run with this gimmick until WrestleMania.
- RAW Women’s Championship Match: Sasha Banks’ fans have been waiting over two years for Sasha to be back in a prominent spot (while bashing Alexa Bliss non-stop on social media the entire time). Sasha is best as a heel and she’s been able to act like “The Boss” again the past couple weeks, but I predict Ronda Rousey will retain and face either Becky Lynch or Charlotte at WrestleMania or maybe both in a triple threat match.
- Smackdown Women’s Championship: Becky Lynch is The Man right now in WWE, but it doesn’t feel like the right time to give her the belt back. It feels like it should happen at WrestleMania. So, I predict Asuka will retain somehow. Maybe outside interference from Charlotte? Or maybe a count out or a DQ?
- Smackdown Tag Team Championships: The Miz & Shane McMahon for the win. Yes, they’re not a real tag team and lots of people are sick of seeing Shane wrestle, but Sheamus & Cesaro as unlikely partners have been wearing thin for a long time. Them being a tag team for the past two years has branded them mid-carders for life, so The Miz & Shane McMahon will be a welcome change and it’s probably leading to The Miz vs. Shane McMahon at WrestleMania.
*No predictions for the pre-show matches.